New to Corsets – a guide for the new Corset Story customer
5 Corset Story tips if you are new to corsets
If you have never owned a corset before, but you have always wanted to try one, then we have some tips which should help you when sizing and styling your corset for the first time.
If you're buying for yourself, measure honestly. A good corset shouldn’t leave you with any unsightly bumps or bulges. It should feel great when it’s on, supporting you without squashing you, so don’t be tempted to go for a size too small for vanity’s sake. It won’t flatter you like one that really fits!
If you are buying for a loved one, it is wise that you consult with the person you’re buying it for before making the purchase. If you don't want to spoil the surprise, her best friend should be your source of information.
A corset constructed from a good pattern is more comfortable than you may realise. Wearing one for the first time can be a new sensation but lots of our customers quickly relate to this feeling. We often receive positive feedback about how supported and confident our customers feel when wearing their corsets. Due to the quality of our garments, there is also a growing trend that women are replacing their bras for corsets as they find them that much more comfortable.
Regardless of the finishing fabric used in a corsets construction, a good corset should always have a breathable twill lining. It is also recommended that you wear a corset liner to protect the corset and your skin. Alternatively, you may like to style your corset over a top or a blouse.
For added comfort on our Waist Taming and “Expert Waist Training” corsets you will also find the additional or “Hip Gores” or “Hip Panels”. Gores and Panels are 2 different solutions to ensure additional flair at the bottom of your corset, this gives the corset more room to fit comfortably over the top of the hips.
We know that our customers are looking for good quality items which last for years.
We understand that affordability is extremely important to our customers, so it may be tempting to shop around for a bargain. However, it is worth considering that a well-made corset is a great investment. Not only will an item of quality last longer, it will also be more comfortable.
A good corset will be made of strong, sturdy fabrics, and the layer closest to your skin should be made of natural (rather than man-made) fibres. There are a lot of inexpensive corsets available online, the main differences between Corset Story garments and these “Sub £20” corsets are detailed here:
• Corset Story use multiple layers of fusing and lining to ensure strength. Aa lot of very cheap corsets will be made from a single layer of fabric and will tear when you tension it
• We have developed our patterns over many years to create, what we think is. “The Best Fitting Off the Rack” corset available.
• All Corset Story garments are made with Spiral Steel Boning, this allows the corset to mould perfectly to your body regardless of how the corset needs to adapt to your body shape. Cheaper corsets will often be made using plastic boning or Flat Steels. Plastic boning is fine until you heat it up too much with body heat. Then the boning will warp permanently. Some people prefer flat steel boning as it makes their corset feels more rigid. However as you cinch the waist of a corset constructed with flat steels the bust and hip ends of the bone will naturally pull away from your body.
• All Corset Story corsets also come complete with a modesty panel. This allows you to hide or show off you back, depending on your preference.
• All of our corsets have suspender loops and loops for bra straps as standard
If you need to save money our advice is to check out the Corset Story Sale section (under Offers on our website), sign up to our newsletter or follow us on Facebook to get access to Corset of the Day deals as they happen.
4) Different types of Corset
We have also produced a video on “Corset Stealthing” if this is of interest to you.
Corset Story offers a 12 month quality guarantee
We stand behind the quality of our garments, any corset you purchase from Corset Story is guaranteed for 12 months from the date of purchase. In the unlikely event that your corset develops a defect within the first 12 months simply email an image and short description of the issue, along with your order number to firstname.lastname@example.org and a member of the team will reply with the offer of a replacement.
Once you’ve picked the perfect corset, have fun! A great corset doesn’t just give you a more flattering outline; it adds drama and panache to whatever you’re wearing, and gives you more confidence while you’re wearing it. They are great fun to wear, and if they're gifts, you get to watch the wearer have fun. It's a win-win.